Thursday, August 24, 2006

Impatience Is The Enemy of Success, Or Writing Well Often Takes Time

I am reminded today that my projects and those of my clients have to unfold of their own accord. Like most creative people, usually I am ready to move forward like lightning with a thousand different ideas. But then I slow down or run into obstacles. Once products begin to take form I am involved and engaged (to greater or lesser extent) with other professionals who have their own busy schedules and time frames, and creative processes that shouldn't necessarily be rushed. I have to respect them by stepping back and trusting their integrity. Plus, I can get distracted, or I discover more details to handle, and then I succumb to my own creative misdemeanors and sabotages.

What happens when I relax and stop trying to mainpulate the outcome? It eases.

Of course, I'm not talking about letting go and drifting into unconcsiousness or taking nap after nap on the couch--that's no way to succeed in life. Also: Boring!

However, I want you to understand that you can definitely be so eager to move forward that your standards are lowered too far. And that won't serve your best interests in the long-term. Keep an eye on quality. Allow your subconscious to have a chance to operate on your behalf by factoring in time spent away from your project. Then you can come back and review it with fresh eyes. Also, get the support of objective observers. You may not be your own best salesperson. Those supporters are golden. They deserve flowers and praises yodelled from high mountaintops.

All the while your project is "cooking" test and taste it and don't be afraid to make improvements. One day you'll know it is ready. Confirmation will arrive. Then move ahead with lightning speed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home