Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Publishing Insider News--Feature Article: "Put Yourself in the Publishers' Shoes--and Don't Act Like a 'Nut-job'"

A couple of months ago I got an email from a guy, let's call him Jake, though that's not his real name. And, there was an implication that he wanted to interview me for an article on spirituality. I thought, "Great!" and replied promptly with some answers to his questions.

Time went by. A second email came to my inbox. Now there was an implication that he wanted to hire me as an editorial consultant for a book project. It was clear that he wasn't really interested in interviewing me for the project that he had mentioned. I supposed I had misunderstood. Oops. That must be why I hadn't heard back. Again, I thought, "Great!" and replied. This time I asked a question, "What services are you needing?"

More time went by. A third, this time self-aggrandizing email came to me. Very short. I'll spare you the details. At the end it read: "Don't you want to work with me?" I asked again, "What services do you need?" Two weeks more went by. A fourth short email arrived. "Aren't you a publisher?"

Let me tell you, I was actually flabbergasted.

Let's imagine that during this whole exchange Jake believed I was a book publisher and he wanted me to consider publishing his book. (I don't really know if that's true since his approach was so intermittent.) If so, was Jake's approach the best one to take? Common sense has to dictate our answer here.

My answer is no. His approach sucked.

There is a better way to approach a publisher than by writing short self-congratulatory emails and attempting to put the publisher on the defensive through sending them long lists of interview questions. That better way is with a book proposal. Jake had it backwards. He thought the world was waiting for him to arrive and grace it with his presence. Nuh-uh.

The most successful authors sit down and make a business plan outlining the contents of their books and strategies for their books' promotion. When they are ready to find a suitable publisher, they either write a letter of inquiry to an editor at a publishing company asking permission to send the proposal or they solicit the assistance of a literary agent to make contact with various possible publishing houses on their behalf.

Check out my audio program "7 Quick & Easy Steps to Write and Sell Your First Book Proposal" for help in this area.

Another complaint I had with Jake's approach to me was that it felt disrespectful. He was hiding his true intent in the first contact (and therefore wasting my time). He was attempting to make me pursue him (wasting my time with manipulation efforts). And when I did reply for a legitimate purpose, he didn't follow through on this strange "job interview."

That's why when I wrote him for a final time to inform him that "No, I am not a publisher" I also told him--without an explanation--that I wouldn't work with him in any capacity. Potential clients like Jake show up occasionally and most of the time early behavior is sufficient to weed out crazy-makers.

You don't want to be perceived as a "nut-job," do you? Then take a lesson from this story and step up your game. Put yourself in the other person's shoes for a few minutes.

If you have any desire to receive help from a professional in the publishing industry, you need to know where you are in your process and be able to describe it. here are some legitimate requests:
  • "I am in an information seeking mode."
  • "I need help writing a proposal (query letter)."
  • "I am interested in hiring (consulting with) you."
  • "I am interested in being represented by your agency."
  • "I would like my next book to be published by your company."
  • "I am interested to know the exact nature of the services you provide."

The reason to be clear is that you will get a better result.

I love writers and idea-people. I am one. Having sat on both sides of the desk--the selling side and the acquiring side--I want to compassionately alert you to act as a professional.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home