Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Creative Insight: Moving from Idea to Page

People ask me how I spend my days writing. Here's an example, from today:

This morning I woke up and fed my cat, Katrina (yes, like-the-hurricane), and pushed the button to turn on my computer.

Rule #1: You have to commit to get started by taking an action.

I gave myself half an hour maximum to check my email. Thanks to my profession and being a lifelong lover of literature, I read quickly, otherwise I imagine I could be stuck there all day.

Rule #2: It's vital to limit Internet surfing time if it's not relevant to your project.

I did my quick errand to the post office and chiropractor before 9 AM. Then I put an outgoing message on my phone saying I am in retreat for the day, but will return calls promptly within 24 hours (and I shall!) and then I went to my computer and checked the list of to-dos I put there last night. Made one phone call to my financial advisor to ask a tax-relevant question.

Rule #3: Stay on task. Don't let external influences sway you from your priorities.

My goal is to get through the preliminaries on one writing assignment, and to advance the actual writing of another. I can't do both at the same time. So I have decided to focus on the writing first and then will do the contemplative work in the afternoon. Took time to write this blog before I begin because it was pressing against my mind that it wanted to be written, and because I have made a commitment to myself to learn to be a better marketer moving forward.

Rule #4: Be clear about short-term and long-term goals.
Rule #5: Honor your natural flow.

Now, I must say goodbye. And write... more on the habits of productivity in future entries. If you're ready to get started on a book proposal check out my product 7 Quick & Easy Steps to Write AND SELL Your First Book Proposal. My past clients who are following this advice are getting agents and publishers, and building good businesses around the contents of their books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home