Tuesday, October 16, 2012

October Is Women in Small Business Month

The first businesswoman I knew was my mother. She had a store on Montague Street in Brooklyn Heights, where she and her business partner, who happened to be the mom of one of my best friends as a kid, sold children's clothing and toys.

Not surprisingly, today my childhood friend owns her own store in Maine, and I am a publishing entrepreneur with a growing business.

It came to my attention last night that this month is an opportunity to remind the women I know of how WONDERFUL you are. Happy Women in Small Business Month, my friends!

From the members of The Pinnacle, an entrepreneurial mastermind group where I teach my "Write a Short, Powerful Book Course," to the dozens and dozens of female authors whom I've been privileged to edit and co-write with over the years, the creative entrepreneurs I know who are women are REMARKABLE.

I salute you even as I salute myself. In fact, I highly recommend going to the mirror and smiling as you give yourself a High-5 and say, "Way to go, GIRL!"

Did you know that:
  • There are 17 million solopreneurs in America?
  • 1 million people start a business every year?
  • One-third of these biz owners are WOMEN?
  • Between 1997 and 2012, when the number of businesses in the United States increased by 37%,the number of women-owned firms increased by 54%--a rate 1½ times the national average.?
  • Currently there are over 8.3 million women-owned businesses in the U.S., employing 7.7 million people and generating $1.3 trillion in revenues?
  • Women now make up 41 percent of the individuals with a net worth of $500,000 or more?
  • Women make or influence over 80 percent of all purchasing decisions?

Well, it's true. It also should be no secret by now that I believe a BOOK is the best advertising you could do for your business.
If you want to find out which sectors are increasing fastest and which states are home to the highest growth in women-owned businesses, Click Here and Get the Full Document of "State ofWomen-Owned Business Report" (American Express OPEN)

If you're an author, what does this have to do with you? Hey, hey, hey. Women, especially if you're feeling time-constrained by children and whatnot, writing and publishing in the new paradigm of turnkey online distribution systems can fit neatly into your schedule and responsibilities.

  • You're motivated by a desire for financial freedom and security for your family.
  • You are inspired to take charge of your destiny and contribute to your community.
  • You love the feeling of achievement and the pleasure of self-expression.
  • You're an expert and you have something to say.
Peekaboo, I see you. I respect you and honor you for putting your inspiration into action. You have ENRICHED my life.

I bet you know a woman you care about--your mother, your sister, your daughter, your wife, your co-worker, your friend--who's a business owner and/or a writer. Why don't you make it a point to tell this wonderful woman that she's incredible, and you admire her, and then give her a loving pat on the back this month?

I know she'll appreciate hearing those words from someone she knows, likes, and trusts.

Remember, you're my hero!

 


 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home